However, I don't think it's all bad to be like a sloth (the animal). In my opinion, here is some of the wisdom of sloths:
- Sloths are in fact slow-moving. They are apparently one of the slowest-moving animals in the world. They remind me of snails! Sometimes we race ahead of ourselves. Sloths remind us that the best way can be slow and deliberate.
- Sloths live in a beautiful environment. They are found only in the rainforests of South and Central America. I would love to visit there--barring that, I could do more to make my own space a beautiful environment.
- Sloths hang from trees. Now, I don't want to sleep hanging from a tree for 18 hours at a time like a sloth can, but I remember climbing trees as a kid, and sitting under trees. I want to take more time to appreciate the wisdom of trees.
- Sloths are for the most part vegetarian--they eat leaves, twigs, and fruit. They eat very slowly. I am vegetarian (by choice), but need to work on eating more slowly. Eating like a sloth.
- Sloths, despite living in trees, are surprisingly good swimmers. Wouldn't have thought that was a good combo, but I shouldn't judge a book by its cover (or a sloth by its body shape). When do I make assumptions about someone because of their body shape? When do others do the same to me?
I'm sure that is more than you wanted to hear about sloths (although I didn't tell you the female sloths give birth to their babies hanging upside down!), but I think I'm going to keep a picture of a sloth around for a while. I hope it reminds me to slow down, consider my options, and live more planfully in 2013.