One snail

One snail

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I woke up to flags at half-mast...

Things feel kinda surreal to me right now.  I checked in for my surgery here in Seattle at 6 am on Friday December 14. All went well (other than nausea from the anesthesia) and I was in my hospital room by late afternoon.  I looked out my window, and saw the flags at half-mast.  I was on some serious pain medication, so vaguely wondered what had happened--assuming someone might have lost their life in combat--but didn't ask anyone.  I wasn't interested in TV, so didn't hear any news reports.  I didn't have my laptop or iPad with me either, which is how I usually learn national and international news.

The next day, my family was visiting, and my dad said there was some bad news.  I thought he was going to tell me about a problem that had happened with my jeep.  My mom said, "She doesn't need to know about that right now," but I said, "No, tell me."  And he told me about the tragic shooting and death of the school children and teachers in Connecticut.

Although I am not a parent, I worked as a child & family therapist for many years before coming to teach at my community college.  This senseless loss of life, especially such young lives, was overwhelming.

But, despite what happened, my focus remained on healing.  On myself.  On my pain, on getting up to sit in a chair, on walking in the halls, on trying to eat and drink.  Was this wrong?  I don't think so.  But I still feel surreal.

There is no way I can do justice to this horrific event.  I would ask you to read some posts from my fellow bloggers, who describe what I would have said much better than me.  Fit and Free with Emily's post Standing in Light is one I suggest.  Another is Chubby McGee's An Update is in Order, in the highlighted part where she reminds us, "Focus on acceptance, love, and compassion every, single day for the rest of your life."

Thanks for listening.


2 comments:

  1. So tragic and unneccesary, it makes my heart hurt to think about it too much. I think you need to focus on you and the new you right now. I hope you are healing well and staying hydrated. The worst is over, the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sad. Sorry that was the news that you had to wake up to.

    Recovery is your priority, and sounds like you are doing a great job. Take care in the first few weeks! Can't wait to see your exciting progress.

    ReplyDelete